And then the phone goes crazy

Ann H Gabhart Ann's Posts, One Writer's Journal

Hi everybody. I know. I know. It’s not Saturday or Sunday, but my computer modem went belly-up last Friday or Saturday. I don’t know which day. Things were so crazy around here last week what with Bible School every night. I already think I don’t have enough hours in the day to get half of what I need to get done finished and then you take out four or so hours a day for Bible School. I know that’s not a lot of time to dedicate the Lord, and I know He’s the master of my time. I might not even have four hours tomorrow. I hope I do. I think I will, but I can’t be sure. I just have to remember the Shaker saying on that one and do my work as if I thought I had a thousand years to live and that I might die tomorrow. In other words, don’t stress out, just do it the way it’s supposed to be done.

And we did have a good time at Bible School. Not many kids at our little church, but the ones who were there got to have a lot of fun and learn about Jesus and the Bible. Still all us older teachers were glad when Friday came. I don’t know how they used to do two weeks every summer for three hours every day. Of course more mothers were home with their kids and didn’t have outside jobs. They worked hard in the field and gardens and sewing and canning, but most of them didn’t have jobs at the bank or Wal-Mart or wherever. So the chores got put off by them the same as they did by me this last week. Of course, sometimes I put the chores off every week and it’s beginning to show on my house.

To add to the confusion last week, we got a new fridge which meant I had to clean out the old fridge and get ready for the new one. I hate to tell you, but I’m not a housekeeper who pulls her fridge out every two or three weeks to clean behind it. It’s clean now though. Then my son had a business trip to another state and my daughter-in-law rode along for a little R & R. So I had their three kids who are of course beautiful and smart and fun, but they also wear their old grammy out after a while. But none of that is the real reason I’m late posting this week. That’s the modem’s fault. Every time I plugged the computer line into the phone jack, the phone started ringing non-stop. Not good. But I put the new modem in this morning while the kids ate breakfast and it seems to be working okay. So far.

Tomorrow I have to get back to work on my new book. I got behind on my daily page quota last week because of Bible School and now I’ve missed two days playing with the grandkids. I’m going to have to make the keyboard sing the rest of the week to even make a fair showing. But I think I know what’s happening next in the story. That’s always good. Now if I just knew a little more about what’s going to happen after that. Oh well, the words have always come before. Maybe they will again.

The release date for The Outsider is getting closer and so is the arrival date of my twin grandsons. My daughter-in-law (the one in WV) is even more anxious for August to get here than I am. She’s already having a hard time finding a way to get comfortable sitting or lying down. I, of course, am anxiously anticipating both events.

I have to close. My kitchen is a disaster. I was helping the little one (she just turned two) brush her teeth and get ready for bed and the older ones (six and eight) along with a neighbor girl kept asking me about making glaze for doughnuts. I thought they were just curious. I should have known better than that. There is a light dusting of confectioner’s sugar on the cabinets and the floor and who knows where else. Neat is not my grandson’s middle name, but he was giving it the old college try. And we got glaze made before they went home. I’ve still got glaze in case I find any stray doughnuts, I suppose.

Have a great week.